Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Donde esta mi pollo?" "In the microwave"

So, Thursday I left for the beach. We got lunch really quick then hopped on a bus hoping it would take us to the Coca Cola station in San Jose, but…it didn’t. So we got off the bus and walked about 8 blocks to the Coca Cola station so that we could buy tickets to Manuel Antonio. We had about an hour to kill so we went to a local bar…my first time drinking here! I only had a beer, I will probably never drink another anytime soon. It is not good! An hour went by, we got on the bus, went on a four hour bus ride to Manuel Antonio. From there, we took a taxi to our hostile. Where do I start with the hostile? It was a room with five bunk beds and had its own bathroom. Sounds nice, right?! But the first thing I saw when I walked in was two lizards right above a bed, and then a momma lizard by another bed. Disgusting! I guess I would rather have it be that then cockroaches or something nasty like that. Friday came, we ate a piece of bread for breakfast and were on our way to the beach. The beach was SOOO pretty. So pretty my pictures look fake. It was well worth the four hour bus ride. Ticos would always come up to us and want us to take surf lessons from them or by a chair to sit on the beach with or would ask if we wanted a margarita. Kaleigh and I took up the margarita offer and they delivered it right to us on the beach! I felt spoiled. At night, we ate dinner then just hung out in the hostile. Saturday, we woke up, ate a piece of bread, and were on our way. We went to the Manuel National park first. Lets just say “we basically played with monkeys on the beach” as said by Kaleigh. They were so funny! They would climb down the trees and get into people’s things and steal things-like food, sunglasses, and towels. They were too cute! We couldn’t wear our sunglasses on our heads because they would have swung down and taken them! We saw sloths in the park also-first time ever seeing one of those and man they were freaky looking. After the park, we went back to the beach until it started to rain! I swear it rains everyday right after lunch until I go to bed.

I just realized I have yet to inform you guys about the weird things in Costa Rica. I can’t believe I have yet to mention this. In Costa Rica, they do not flush toilet paper down the toilets. IS THAT NOT WEIRD???? You throw it away in the trash can. Also, most places don’t have toilet paper or soap, so bring your own if you ever plan on visiting. Anyways, Saturday night we went to dinner then slept because we had to be up early to catch our bus back to San Jose. We got back to Heredia about 5 then I went to Applebee’s with my host father and my host sister, Javier and Fabi, for Father’s day. I only got to talk to my real dad for 50 seconds on Father’s day which was somewhat frustrating. Anyways, monday, I had class from 8-12 then Kaleigh, Kelsi and I stayed at school until 6pm working on our five page paper and 20 minute presentation due the next day. I came home, ate dinner, studied, then went to sleep.

Today, I was up at 5:40am to practice my presentation and I was on the bus by 7:15. My host mom made me pan con queso, I love seeing that on my plate when I walk down the stairs because I know what it is. The presentation went good, for not preparing as much as we should have. The rest of the day for me=napping, doing homework, uploading more pictures, dinner, then more homework.

I can’t believe I have been here for 10 days already. 1 week down, only 25 more to go!!!

2 comments:

  1. You don't know me...

    BUT: loved those monkeys (they stole our bread...out of our bag about one foot from us). AND let's just say I had a difficult time adjusting to the fact that TP wasn't supposed to be flushed. They also mean business, the pipes can't handle it. I learned that the hard way. Twice. I also contemplated fishing it out with my hands in despair, especially when in someone's home. YIKES!

    Please be so careful in San Jose around the Coca-Cola station. Some of the Ticos were even pretty leery of it and sent us there with a big guy.

    Jealous of you - have fun! Sounds like an awesome adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle,
    I'm so happy you are creating a blog. It is fun reading about your adventure in Costa Rica. You will be amazed when you get back home the things you will forget & then later read in your blog. You should make a paper copy when you get home for a keepsake.
    Pam Schnoes

    ReplyDelete