Tuesday, June 29, 2010

La Fortuna/Arenal Volcano

Ahhh, where do I begin??? Friday, I was up at 4am getting ready to leave for La Fortuna, Costa Rica. There was five of us going, and we met outside UNA at six. After walking around the city of Heredia for about 30 minutes, we finally found the right bus stop in order to get to San Jose. We got to San Jose, and CLEARLY took the wrong street to find the next bus stop. It was a bunch of old men yelling and whistling at us five American girls. I was not a happy camper and honestly was about to punch every single one of them. SO ANNOYING-its not cute or attractive. They need lives. Anyways, got on the bus to La Fortuna and arrived about five hours later. It was a lonnnng bus ride. Two boys from our hotel was at the stop waiting for us, which came to a surprise. Normally after arriving to the right town, we walk around aimlessly looking for our hostel/hotel. After dropping our stuff off in our room, we walked around the town-looking for souvenirs. Kelsie just HAD to pet a homeless dog and it ended up following us everywhere that night. It was Kaitlyn’s birthday so we went out to dinner, and attempted to look for the Discoteca’s. We found one, but it was lame so we went home after dinner. Kelsi, Kaleigh and I just sat around talking in our room. I have no idea what I am going to do without them once they leave Costa Rica….gah.

Saturday was probably the best day I have had since I have been in Costa Rica. We woke up around 915, then went to the Hot Springs. It was like a resort. It was so so nice! For those of you who don’t know, these hot springs were like hot tubs-but with no chemicals or a heater. The volcano naturally heats them. Who wouldn’t complain about watching USA play soccer in a hot spring in Costa Rica? There were wet bar’s that you could just swim up to and order whatever drink you wanted. Five hours later, we went on a tour/hike near the Arenal volcano. We hiked to a Waterfall-which was beautiful! And I also learned that people can eat termites…they taste like carrots in case anyone was wondering. Then we sat and waited for the sun to set so that we were able to see red lava come out of the volcano. IT WAS AWESOME!!

Sunday, we packed our things and got on a five hour bus ride back to San Jose.

Monday-I had class till noon then studied the rest of the night

Today-I had class till noon-I ate noodles with butter for lunch…it wasn’t too good. In class today, we were assigned a ten page research paper along with a twenty minute presentation due Monday. On top of that, we have a huge test Thursday. Looks like I will be having a wonderful birthday-full of studying and writing a research paper.

BUT this weekend, the plan is go to Monteverde to zip line through the forest and hopefully white water rafting!!

Also, I am teaching my two year old host sister how to high five. I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment