Monday, November 22, 2010

Panama

Helllooooooooooo :)

So thursday-I had one final...and it was in my dance class. We put on a performance of Calypso and our own dance that we had to choreograph. It was a lot of fun! I had to wear a white dress for my dance and we put baby powder all over ourselves to look "dead". We did a lyrical dance-it was pretty fun. If i have time, I will post it on fb for everyone to see :) Later that night, I went to the bar with some friends from my Administracion de servicios class. They begged me to go even though I had no interest in going with, "its your going away party, we wont see you anymoreee" soooo I decided to go for a little bit. It was a lot of fun and I am glad I went. I stayed for two hours then went home because I had to get up at 345 the next morning to go to PANAMA!!


Friday-I woke super early to take a taxi to the bus stop in San Jose. Kelly and I waited for an hour and then boarded the bus. We were on the bus for about 6 hours and we finally arrived to the border. We had to fill out immigration papers, then we had to walk across the SKETCHY border....So sketchy. I felt like I was going to fall through a good 4 times. The huge river that was under the bridge was reassurring as well....



After we got across the border, we had to get our bags checked by this creepy military looking guy and let me tell you-he was not nice. He made you take EVERYTHING out of all your bags....so annoying. Then, we got on a mini van to get to the water taxi place so we could get to the island we were staying at in Panama. When we were driving, we came to a complete stop on a two way road. A semi truck had fallen on its side so we waited for a good 20 minutes-not to mention the most awkwardest guy sat next to me on this mini van attempting to speak English to me. After the hour ride in the mini van, we got on a boat, aka water taxi. That was a good 15 20 minute ride on the boat. so, just to make sure you are following...to get to this island from Barva (where i live in Costa Rica) we took:

1.taxi
2.bus

3.walked

4.taxi

5.water taxi

6.walked

Impressive, eh? So, we finally got to the island 9 hours later :) Some guy came up to us and asked if we had already had reservations for a hostel...we told him no and he said he was a tourist guide worker so he told us about how there was a hostel for 15 a night for two people anddd he was offering a full day tour for only $15. We took him up on both offers! We went to the hostel, checked in, then went to sign up for the tour for the next day. After, we went to the ATM to get some dolla's out. Well....both of the only two ATMS on this island werent working. But, this little old man comes walking up to the ATM and kelly starts talking to him in Spanish and asking if he knew if there were anyother atms....and he suddenly spatted back at us, i speak english. He helped us get money at, and offered to buy us a free drink at his hangout place. Two hours later, Kelly and I know this whole guy's life story. We went to a boat off the island that was a full bar and restaurant. It was different but fun! After, we walked around Bocas and shopped at the stores all around selling souvenirs.



Saturday-THE TOUR! We got on the boat around 9:45ish. Oh, for breakfast, I ate this really good chocolate muffin, in case you were wondering ;) This tour consisted of us going to FOUR different islands to snorkel in two different places, see dolphins, and go to Red Frog beach! Well, it started to rain right before we got on the boat to see the dolphins :( buuuut, it started to clear up a little. We got to the dolphin island...SO COOL. It was raining so I didn't get any pictures of the dolphins because I didn't want to ruin my camera...but Kelly got a couple so I will steal hers once she puts them up on Facebook. It was so so cool and there a ton of them at this island! So neat. Then, we went snorkeling in the middle of the ocean....don't laugh at me or think I am special BUT I never knew the bottom of the ocean actually looked like it does in Nemo, the movie. It looks exactly like that....and I HAD NO IDEA! Granted, it was my first time snorkeling, but i had noooo idea. I was amazed and I already cant wait to go snorkeling again :) oh, wait-backup....did I mention how the snorkels (mouth piece and all) were just laying on the floor of the boat...it took me a good 3 minutes to finally put on the snorkel because I was so grossed out.


After the snorkeling, we went to this restaurant off the island where people could order food. Kelly and I brought our food because the food was super expensive. After lunch, we went to the Red Frog beach. The most bluest water I have EVER seen in my life. I didn't want to leave, obviously. I fell asleep on the beach, as always for a good hour and got a little tan ;)



After the beach, we went back to the island where we were staying at. Kelly and I showered, and got our hair wrapped! Mine is bright pink, orange, green, and yellow. Its pretty cool I guess. Then, we went and got dinner and walked around the town some more. We were in bed by 10 :)




Sunday-Got up, went to a business seminar for two hours....then got on the water taxi to head back home :( it was a long dayyyy. I always get sea sick on boats...I don't know why either. We got back into Heredia around 1030ish. Oh, on the bus ride back from Panama, I had two guys sit next to me on the bus....who played music from their phone....WITHOUT headphones....do you know how annoying that is? 7 hours on a bus....super annoying. But, thats about all from my panama trip....3 days and my mom and sister will be here :)
for the next couple of days....bring on all the goodbyes :(

No comments:

Post a Comment