Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I feel like an International student...

Today was my first class with all ticos, it was Administracion de Recursos Humanos 2. I survived, to say the least. But my teacher speaks so fast, I can barely understand what words she is saying, let alone know what all those words mean. We started off class with her telling us that there is 48 kids in the classroom, but only 35 desks. So, we pushed all the desks towards the wall and sat on the floor. After that whole ordeal, the teacher went over the syllabus. She then took role. She never called my name so after she was done, she asked if she skipped anyone. I raised my hand and she asked what my name was. Here is how this conversation goes ALL THE TIME IN COSTA RICA.

Her: como se llama?
Me: Danielle
Her: que?
Me: Danielle
Her: lo siento, no entiendo.
Me: Dan-ieeelllleee (slower)
Her: huh?
Me: es como Daniella.
Her: oooooohhhh, daniella

Me: si, si. es correcto.
Her: Daniella, mucho gusto.


Really? Who would have ever guessed. Tico’s are unable to say Danielle for some reason. But when you add a simple A to the end of it, they are able to. I don’t understand. This conversation happens every single time a tico asks what my name is. EVERY single time. After the whole name issue, she asked where I was from, I said Los Estados Unidos. She then gave the whole class a five minute lecture on how they all had to help me an speak slow to me when they talked to me, and help me learn the learning process here in costa rica and how its very difficult to go to a different school in a different country and so on. SO EMBARRASSING! They all already stare at you but after that whole five minute lecture about being nice to the international kid, they stare more. I hope this lecture isn’t given to all the students in my other 3 classes…. She asked if I spoke Spanish, I said ehh, mas y menos. I wanted to say “I try but I am not very good at it” but I couldn’t think that fast.

I have a sore throat and have had one for a couple of days now. Today for lunch, my mamatica made me soup and it tasted really good. It had carrots in it and I ate all the carrots! My plan for the rest of the day is to do some homework, write on some postcards, eat dinner, homework, then bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment