Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stormy Tuesday

Second day of orientation. For breakfast, my mamatica made me fried cheese with gallo pinto and tortilla’s. Not the typical breakfast back in America, but it wasn’t too bad. It was just a little too much for a breakfast food. Normally, I just eat toast or nothing at all, but fried cheese, beans, rice, and tortilla’s was a little much. We had our exam today to see what level of Spanish we would be taking while at the university. I am got placed in intermediate-advanced. We then took a tour of the campus. After that, Louis, Earl, and I went to a nearby pizza place for lunch. For the first time, I tried a calzone. It was delicious! Earl informed me that we have them back in the USA, but I have never heard of them. So, go out and try them, they are amazing! After lunch, we met in the library and chose our classes. I am hoping I get the five that I really wanted. After orientation, April and I went to the bank to pay $250 deposit for our Student Visa…yikes. Then, I went near the central park in Heredia to find a place where I could get a passport photo of myself. Found one, and as soon as I walked into the store, it started down pouring. I waited five minutes, then was on my way to the bus stop to go home. Of course, It was still pouring. I got on the bus….and it was storming like crazy, I am pretty sure I jumped a total of 4 times. Talk about embarrassing, like it’s not already embarrassing being stared at by all the tico’s. My bus stop came, and the bus driver said something to me but I was so worried about the rain, I wasn’t paying attention. I think he said to get off at the back of the bus, because as soon as I stepped out of the bus…it was knee high water. FAIL. Then, I almost tripped because I couldn’t see where the curb was. Tico’s already stare at you for being a gringo, I just drew more unwanted attention to myself after that whole ordeal. Wonderful. I am glad to be back in my house for the night. When I walked into the house, there was no lights. My mamatica told me the power went out and we had no electricity. So, for two hours we sat in the kitchen with a light bulb thing and talked. The lights finally came back on so I went up to my room to change out of my wet clothes. 20 minutes later, we lost power again. So, I took a 15 min nap. The lights went out when my mom was trying to make us dinner, so she came and gave me some cookies while we waited for the power to turn back on. She is so cute!

The classes I am hoping for are:

1. International Marketing
2. Internation Human Resource Management
3.International Fianance
4.Latin America: historical leadership

....in case you were wondering.

I have so much to do. buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment